IPB

Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christians Vs Mormons?
Glen
post Jan 9 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

The recent election cycle in the US has brought an old controversy to a new, public, and embarrassing level. This article isn't about politics, but about how people on both sides, by pointing fingers and making claims, discredit themselves, rather than their intended targets. There are factions in both camps, who strongly believe that members of the other camp are not part of God's family. The truth is, all genuine Christians are part of God's family and some of them are Mormons. Now that I've offended both camps, let's...
Read complete article!

--------------------
Love & Hugs,
Glen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chowchessie10
post Mar 14 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 652

Dear Glen--

You have made some interesting points, and here is my opinion.

I am with you as far as the "basics" of Christianity. 26 years ago someone asked me the members of which Christian denomination are going to heaven? I told the person that denomination didn't matter. The people who accepted Christ as their savior, and had a spiritual relationship with God, were the people going to heaven, and many denominations and groups of every description contain people who are spiritually connected with God, and the same denominations contain people who are not spiritually connected. So far, I think my thoughts on the subject coincide with yours. Having stated this position, I now will explain why I am uncomfortable about the Mormon denomination.

I agree with you that no denomination is 100% in line with the scriptures. In fact, I find some of the controversies that crop up in some of the "main line" Protestant denominations downright scary. I was raised Church of Christ, and had been taught that only C of C people were going to heaven. Needless to say, I don't agree with that. But Mormonism makes me nervous. I don't know how much you know of the history of the Mormon congregation, but it was founded by the child of traveling circus performers, and there was a situation in the late 1800's when Mormons attacked a westward moving party as they crossed Mormon land. That isn't the first time violence was done in the name of religion, and unfortunately it won't be the last. But my main concern is doctrinal: they don't view Jesus the way the Bible does.

According to Answers to the Cultist at Your Door (by Robert & Gretchen Passantino) "The Jesus Christ of Mormonism is Lucifer's brother, the earthly product of sexual relations between God and Mary." Mormons place a great emphasis on fertility, and they believe that in heaven each married couple will preside over their own kingdom, as gods. (I also attended a Mormon seminar at a Baptist church, which was given by a woman who was an ex-Mormon.) In Revelation 22:18-19 it says clearly, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book." (NIV, 1983). Yet it appears Mormons find the Bible insufficient in prophesying and instruction, and have added The Book of Mormon.

Since Mormons have two separate bodies of worship, the temple and the tabernacle, those who have attended only the tabernacle services may not necessarily be aware of all Mormon beliefs.

This is not to be critical or negative toward Mormons, but to explain why I am uncomfortable with including Mormonism as a Christian denomination. I have some reservations with the Unitarian Church also, although I know some very fine people who attend the Unitarian church.

This is my opinion.

Chowchessie10

+Quote Post
Glen
post Mar 14 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi C10! A cool thing about getting comments is they force me to revisit what I wrote. I've been to seminars by ex-Mormons, myself. I've read the Book Of Mormon, The Doctrines and Covenants and the Pearl Of Great Price. I've discussed these things with practicing Mormons, as well. As to every doctrinal issue you mention, I believe the Mormon church is wrong, too, but that's not what my article was saying. My article was referring to the practice of lumping every person attending a specific building together and judging each for the doctrines they may or may not have learned or adopted. As you said, many Mormons are not aware of their "secret" teachings. My word, most practicing Christians are unaware of even the most fundamental of Christian beliefs. This may explain why over 80 % of US Citizens call themselves Christian but less than 25% believe Jesus rose from the dead.

What I said was "The Bottom Line is, if someone is Mormon, Baptist, Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu, anything else, or nothing else, if they have this simple belief in Jesus, they are Christians." Attending a Mormon building does not negate faith in the real Jesus if one has that faith. Attending the most doctrinally sound church in history doesn't make someone a Christian if they don't have this simple belief. I believe the Bible teaches Christ is capable of reaching people through every faith, religion, or cult, no matter how far from Him their doctrines are. The main point of the article was the point I'm sure you and I already agree on...Christianity is a personal, private relationship with God and no one but God can judge it.

So far as doctrine...as long as humans are writing doctrines they will never be correct. Most of what you and I would call main line Christian denominations hold doctrinal positions that not only contradict Scripture, but are described in Scripture as a form of denial of Christ. To judge members of those churches by those weird doctrines is just wrong...that's all I'm saying.

--------------------
Love & Hugs,
Glen

+Quote Post
chowchessie10
post Mar 14 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 652

Glen--

I think I understand what you are saying--Don't assume a person doesn't know God just because he or she walks into a building labeled with a certain denominational or religious sign. That is very true, and what you said about CHRISTIANS not knowing the beliefs their particular church carries is true, too!!!! I found that out, oh, boy. I thought elders, deacons and such would know the Bible very well, and some do, but I was surprised how many people learned things from me!! and I'm probably not considered to be "The Lutheran Hour" type material. (My background is Texan-Native American-Appalachian). It is fortunate that my pastor can outread me--he is trained to know Greek and Hebrew, so he knows the scriptures in the most original form that is possible.

The bottom line is, the joy of being a Christian is having a personal relationship with God, through Jesus His Son. That is the most important thing. But those who don't know Him need someone to point the way. Anyone can--probably the first missionary for Christ was the woman at the well who had five husbands (John 4:4-26,28-30,39-42) when she ran to town and said, "Could this be Christ!?" Once a person decides to commit his life to Christ, I would think he or she would wish to study the Bible, especially the gospels, to find out what Jesus had to say, and through Him what God had to say. It is through such study that leaders can arise and help others with the Christian walk, which at times can be difficult, and wisdom is needed. The Bible has so much in it--the gospels, to describe the ministry of Jesus and His teachings, Paul's letters--to show how to begin and sustain a church, Revelation--to know what is in the future, The Psalms--you can find one here to laugh with, cry with, rejoice with, and even to use as prayer, as needed; and the Book of Job--to let sufferers know that things happen, and that Job did cry out in his pain. And much, much more. I could not imagine being without a Bible. Being with people who study the Bible helps, too.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Glen. I enjoy reading your articles and Bible studies. Tell it like it is!!!!!!

Chowchessie10

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here