Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Depressed
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Christian Advice And Encouragement
LJS
I have a very serious disease that has developed since losing my Mother, but I am not saying that is the reason it developed. I am so torn and confused that I don't understand how this happened to me, but I am a compulsive gambler. I started going with my husband and his family just for fun of course, and when I would lose, I would get mad. I would sneak back and try to win money back and it just grew and grew and grew until it is so out of control that I am very suicidal at this point. My husband helped me the first time, and he told me that if this ever happened again that he would divorce me. This means that I will lose everything that I truly loved to begin with, my family. There will be nothing...........no reason to live at all. I am so embarassed and ashamed that I have no idea how I allowed this to take over my mind this way. I have always been a self controlled type of person, very matter-of-fact and strong in my beliefs, and I DO BELIEVE IN GOD! I think that GOD is probably sick of me now though like everyone else. I have no one to talk to because when you tell the truth or want to open up to someone, all that they can do is judge you! I have no one to blame but myself, and I wish that I would DIE in my sleep tonight, but then that would be too easy. I love living, but not like this. I really do not want to burden anybody else with my problems either. It is just so hard to deal with alone. My husband is such a good person, and he did not deserve this. I can't tell him because he will yell at me again. I grew up in an abusive environment, and I was so happy and fortunate to meet my husband, very patient and very quiet. If I tell him this, it will definitely be the END for me as I know it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a very scared individual right now. I don't know if the LORD can get me through this. It is just too HUGE for me.

May God Bless You!

LJS
daughterofzion2011
My dear sister, there is no problem or situation too big for our God to handle.. you just have to believe that he can do it and come running to him for help because he is the EL Shaddai God( the many breasted one). He is never too tired or weary to answer our cries for help. His words says in Psalm 50:15 " Call upon me in the day of trouble and I will deliver thee".. this is his promise to us when we turn to him and that is what you need to do.. Through the power of his Holy Spirit, you will be delivered and set free completely from the power of addiction over your life once you believe.

This is indeed the enemy at work in your life, he knows that your life is very precious to God and he wants to do everything to destroy because that is main profession; to kill, to steal and to destroy but our Lord Jesus declares in his word that he has come to gives us life and more abundantly.

So dear beloved, I admonish to not give up, go back to the Lord by first of all asking for his forgiveness and for his strength and wisdom to carry you through these tough times right now. I assure you that he is with you and will see you through. If possible, find a bible believing church in your area where you can meet with the pastor or spiritual leader for counseling.

Trust in the Lord completely and he will see you through.

God bless you and I pray that very soon you will begin to enjoy his peace.

Prayer:

Father God, i thank you for your precious daughter whom you have directed to our loving ministry and right now I commit her into your loving hands pleading the blood of Jesus upon her life and situation. Lord, because you are the great deliverer, I ask that you will deliver and set your daughter free completely from the stronghold of the enemy. Fill her life with your love and peace and cause her to experience tremendous victory in Jesus name.

Amen!
YeshuaFreak
Your not alone with the depression stuff!! I will pray for you!! Here are some great verses for you to have encouragement

Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
Nehemiah 8:10 (NKJV)
Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but he who trusts in the LORD, lovingkindness shall surround him.
Psalm 32:10 (NASB)He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and like one from whom men hide their face. He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried; yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isaiah 53:3-4 (NASB)

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24 (KJV)

Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:3-4 (KJV)
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33 (KJV)

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10 (KJV)

To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
Isaiah 61:2-3 (KJV)
Jubileesong
Hello...

I can understand the power of addiction... EVEN WHEN FACED with losing it all - IN THE MOMENT you can't overcome the powerful urge.

Listen...I'm a Christian - and I'm a therapist. Sin has distroyed the world...we have brains God meant to react to things in a certain way. We have a "fight or flight" mechanism - ON PURPOSE! DESIGNED BY GOD! However, sin and corruption has messed it up. So, now, many things can trigger it.

You need to understand that - YES you do need God and prayer and scripture...you DEFINITELY need support. DO NOT live in isolation. There are gamblers anonymous groups you can go to. If you are Christian, than anything "non-Christian" preached there you can put on the shelf. The best part is the partnership and accountability.

You see, in the moment, your brain is tricked into thinking that you MUST have this thing (i.e. gambling) to survive...so the urge becomes OVERWHELMING and unavoidable. Simply praying AT THAT MOMENT may not be enough. You need something tangible.

I work with lots of people who do compulsive shopping or other such things. In the moment, they don't think about anything else and what else they can do never comes to mind. So, I have them make an "emergency card". Get a 3x5 card... On the top in YOUR OWN WORDS and YOUR OWN WRITING make a problem statement...like this: Problem: When I am alone, I gamble. Then, under the problem statement, put a consequence statement: Consequence: If I do gamble, I will lose money, respect and, possibly, my family and everything I care for. Then, under that, put a life statement: Life: There is so much more to life and I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE IT!

You see...thought processes are conscious, but EMOTIONAL PROCESSES (feelings of guilt, compulsion, etc) are LEARNED AND SUBCONSCIOUS...so your THOUGHTS "I don't want to gamble" will change BEFORE YOUR FEELINGS!!!!! That is why the Bible tells us to capture our thoughts...

So, on the back of this card...write the names and phone numbers of people you can call when feeling tempted or overwhelmed. Also, write a list of AT LEAST 5 other things you can do BESIDES gamble.... You could make them similar...play yatzee with my kids... For my compulsive buyers, I have them go to a movie...you're STILL buying yourself something, but it lasts 2 hours and gets your mind off it. $10 better than $100 - and anyone who tells you that taking a bubble bath is a good replacement for the strong impulse of gambling is kidding you and themselves. You have to find something that will give you a payoff...but the BIGGEST payoff is that you DON'T HAVE THE CONSEQUENCE...

Does all this make sense? Give yourself something that you can actually see. In fact, have your KIDS sign those cards, too (if you have any) or anyone who loves and supports you. CARRY IT EVERYWHERE - to the bathroom, to work, EVERYWHERE... Make yourself accountable. Trace your steps online (there are programs for that), get a tracker for your car and let your husband know that he will always know where you are...a GPS or something...get someone else in there to help you. Tell your husband you don't want to do it but you can't always control your impulses now - so you need to be able to be HONEST about that when it hits you...develop a plan of action so if you find yourself in a gambling place that you can call and tell him to come get you. If you live in Nevada or anywhere else Gambling is legal, see if you can go out-of-town or something for a while to "detox" - seriously...or...if you can...move.

No such thing as a quick fix. Praying is NOT enough - you have to have some actions, too...I mean it IS enough...but do you know what I'm saying? PRAYER is definitely something you can put on that card. Let me know how it goes. Take care...Hannah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.