Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not Celebrating Christmas
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Christian Advice And Encouragement
decemberbride2006
I always loved Christmas and about a year and a half ago, my husband decided that we could no longer celebrate as a matter of conscience. We have both loved Christmas growing up and I grew up with many siblings. I knew the joy of sitting back and watching little eyes glow. I also knew how much better it would be when I was a mom. I had all sorts of pictures of my husband and I snuggled on the sofa, while the kids opened presents and were so excited for the special things they received. I saw us going caroling as a family, serving food to the homeless, drinking egg nog by the fireplace while listening to the sounds of the season. On the Eve, my dear husband putting together little bikes and slides and dollhouses, me stuffing stockings, kids tucked in bed. I had one year, just one year, of being able to experience Christmas as a mom with our then 8 week old daughter. But even still, I was in my element with her. A two-month-old baby can't do a thing, but I still had it all done up with wrapping, trimmings, lights of all kinds. Last year was our first year of not celebrating. It's a lot harder this year now that our daughter is 2 and we have a 6-month-old son. I am trying to be a "good" wife and willingly, happily, and cheerfully go along with my husband's convictions.... but it's all I can do to not buy the kids things, find something special for my husband, and wrap everything in pretty paper. I am miserable. I want to follow my husband as the head of our home, but I feel like I'm letting my kids down. I am torn between keeping up my little facade of agreeableness or here in the last hours setting up a tree and finding gifts to give. I've been pretty good at fooling our families that I am in total agreement in this; my husband, too. I would hate it if they thought he was being controlling and so I say I agree. I don't want to be the one that weakens his convictions. I don't see the harm in Christmas - but my husband does. We've talked in length about this decision, but he is convicted. But our families are not and still celebrate and furthermore, his family thinks that this is all my doing. They have told me I've ruined the family. Please encourage me today. I could really use it this year.
heavenbound
I am confused... why don't you celebrate Christmas? I hate to be short on understanding but there could be several reasons I suppose and I just want to understand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.