Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Church Leadership
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Bible Questions And Answers
LoveTruth
I have battled this topic of corporate church for a very, very long time. I am approaching 50 years old. I have served about every position short of staff in the Baptist church. From deacon, to teacher to chairman of finance to sunday school director. After reading your blog on church, I agree with the premise of your statements. The intimacy and fellowship of meeting together in smaller groups, whether it be in our homes or wherever, is a more natural and satisfying display of the church. The problem is where do you place the scriptures calling of Elders in Acts and I Timothy where it calls for deacons? This seems to form some sort of corporate body. My spirit is heavy with the responsibility of my family and what God wants for us. I have an 11 and 8 year old boys. While being a member of what was a good church, the focus has turned to professionalism and growth. I have pulled my children from the entertainment scene of the youth. I don't like the direction the church has taken. It has moved away from the teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and prayer to duty.

There has to be a balance some where. My current thought is to have Sunday morning worship and then have a mid week intimate fellowship in my home.

Seeking the Truth and no games.
CValentine
No one can tell you how to rule your own house. The responsibility is heavy but it is all yours. The good news is that the burden becomes light when you are in harmony with Jesus' teachings. You address Acts and 1 Timothy's exhortations for elders and bishops, etc. Try to drop the language of "churchianity and just examine words like "elder" and "rules over" in your concordance. Don't even think in terms of corporatism. Is your home a corporation? No. You rule your house as a loving shepherd. You preside over your family with love. That is all that's meant when referring to ruling over a body of believers. You might also study the "error of the Nicolaitans." Jesus said he "hated" that doctrine. What was it? Use your concordance and break it down. It meant "to rule over the people." Church elders or bishops (used interchangeably) were NEVER meant to rule over the people. We are all equals in God's eyes. Of course, pastors will publicly say they agree with that but their actions, decisions, and mandates prove otherwise (most if not all). Stephen is the best example of an elder in the church. He worked tirelessly to serve the people he loved. Jesus stood up for him when his spirit departed for Heaven. In humble service to the Kingdom of Heaven, we may earn a crown or crowns (or not), but that is for Jesus to say at the Judgment. A small group of families can be a church. But, explain to your kids why you believe you need to make this change so they don't feel they are being punished. Encourage them to ask questions about Jesus and about your faith and doctrine. I had to make some drastic changes in some of the things I used to believe. God showed me that if there are real questions that I can't answer with my theology, then it is not his Word but, my theology that is in error. Some of those issues I once thought were vital to being a Christian but found out that was not so. We must choose between the teachings of Christ and those he appointed like Paul to tech us vs. the traditions men have handed down. So, I started over from the beginning. I have been so enthralled with the beginning that I have spent this entire year so far studying the first 6 chapters of Genesis. Of course, this study has carried me all over the bible in search of clarification. The tireless work of studying the scriptures and teaching are the primary vocations of an elder. May the Lord bless you and your family.
Rewll
I agree with you CValentine that you are the captain of your own family. I also have bunch of callings or responsibilities in my church. But the good thing is I still have time for my family. Family activity should be done first before church meeting or activity.
CValentine
[quote name='Rewll' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:08 AM' post='3525']
"I agree with you CValentine that you are the captain of your own family."

I'm afraid you don't agree with me if you see yourself as the captain of your family. A captain is a leader of a company of men and orders them about to achieve a mission.
I wrote that the head of a family is or should be a shepherd. A shepherd leads his flock to green pastures. He protects them with his life and nourishes them out of love and devotion.
A captain is not a shepherd. I encourage you to search the teachings of Jesus to better understand how to lovingly lead your family.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.