Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friend In Trouble
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Christian Advice And Encouragement
Inneedoffaith
My friend and I are Christian and have been since we were little. We made the decision as young adults they we truly believed in God and wanted to help spread the word to others. I've always thought that he was on a good path, but last night I found out that he shoplifted from a local store. It was unbelieveable to me. I've known him all my life and it's just not like him. I don't know what to do, or what to say to him. I know this has to be a spiritual test for him. He let temptation get the better of him and I worry he'll lose sight of the path he's meant for. What should I say to help him? Are there any relevant verses I could give to him?

Thanks
SnakeEyes
QUOTE (Inneedoffaith @ Oct 19 2011, 11:27 PM) *
My friend and I are Christian and have been since we were little. We made the decision as young adults they we truly believed in God and wanted to help spread the word to others. I've always thought that he was on a good path, but last night I found out that he shoplifted from a local store. It was unbelieveable to me. I've known him all my life and it's just not like him. I don't know what to do, or what to say to him. I know this has to be a spiritual test for him. He let temptation get the better of him and I worry he'll lose sight of the path he's meant for. What should I say to help him? Are there any relevant verses I could give to him?

Thanks

I think you should go talk to him and find out what he was thinking and why he did what he did. Make sure you still treat him as a friend and offer grace to him. Then ask him how he can do something like this that is against his faith. Find out if he is backsliding or what is going on. Maybe you can get him to repent and walk right again with the Lord. Also see if he has some need that caused him to steal and see if you can help him with that situation and encourage him to look to the Lord to meet his needs rather than to steal.

Matthew 18 came to my mind when I was thinking about this situation.

(Matthew 18:15-18) And if thy brother sin against thee, go, show him his fault between thee and him alone: if he hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he hear thee not, take with thee one or two more, that at the mouth of two witnesses or three every word may be established. And if he refuse to hear them, tell it unto the church: and if he refuse to hear the church also, let him be unto thee as the Gentile and the publican. Verily I say unto you, what things soever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and what things soever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.