Nationalism As a Religion
Nationalism, just as religion has its fathers of the 'faith', its 'sacred' writings, symbols, its creeds and oaths of allegiance, songs/hymns of praise, it's shrines, its heroes of the 'faith' and martyrs, defenders of the 'faith', the crime of treason/heresy, requirements/demands for sacrifice and service, and financial obligations. Nations grant 'absolution' for acts done to defend it that other wise would be crimes. It has willing followers who pledge their lives, fortunes, sacred honor, and families to defend it. It has rewards for service, ideals and goals that unite believers, and offers an identity that transcends self for the perceived common good. Nationalism just as false religion uses myths (lies widely believed to be true) to keep their adherents compliant with the leaders' carnal agendas. They used cult mind control techniques to convince their subjects that the nation's ways and beliefs are superior and the only true way for all.

Here is an example of this use of lies by a long deceased expert:

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."

How to Start a War: The American Use of War
Jan 9, 2012 ... The creation of false excuses to justify going to war is a major first step in ... Politicians rally people around the flag, lending their special oratory skills to ... Every time the US has gone to war, pretext incidents have been used.

When a Christian worships at the altar of nationalism/patriotism he is simply bowing down to another religion just as Nebuchadnezzer required.

Christians worship at this altar when they send their sons and daughters off to fight, kill, be maimed and die in its carnal wars, allow their children to be brained washed by the propaganda of US history, engage in the uncleanness of partisan politics, swear oaths to serve it, and pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth that is the symbol of a nation that has done at least as much evil as good in the world, as well as within its own borders.
Shadrach, Meshack, and Abed-Nego understood this and so refused to bow down. They knew what kingdom they were citizens of just as Daniel did, and the true nature of ALL earthly kingdoms. Christians do not seem to know this and pay a very high price because they do not.

First it is pledging allegiance to something that as Christians we cannot support and is a lie. This nation is not under God in the sense it obeys Him, there is NOT liberty and justice for all, and that God's name is Jesus.
1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.
AND
Luke 4:5-7
New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him[a] all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said to Him, “All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. 7 Therefore, if You will worship before me, all will be Yours.”

AND Psalm 2:1 Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying,
3 “Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us.”

THIS IS THE NEARLY COMPLETED PLAN FOR ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT. ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS THE TRAINING USED BY THE MILITARY TO TURN HUMANS INTO KILLERS WHICH IS TOTALLY AGAINST WHAT GOD BUILT INTO ALL. THE MARINES SEEM TO BE THE BEST AT THIS. PLEASE SEE ON KILLING BY DAVE GROSSMAN. HIS SOLUTIONS ARE JUNK BUT HIS THESIS IS RIGHT ON.

There is no such thing as a Christian nation, but Christians in nations being salt and light. The book of Daniel is an excellent commentary on God's view of all government through all time. Note Dan 2:46- 49 compared to chapter 3. Note the mistake Daniel made in 2:46 and 48 which opened the door for chapter 3 to happen. Daniel learned however: Dan 5:16-17. God calls Nebuchadnezzar the greatest ruler in all history. Note what He says about him in Daniel 4:17.

The flag being pledged to is soaked in innocent blood, both of its own citizens and people world wide. Most believe that WWII was a 'just' war for Christians. Here are examples that it was not. On the night of March 8/9, 1945 over 900 B29's fire bombed Tokyo from 9000 feet. More civilians were killed that night then in Hiroshima. Crews said they could smell the burning flesh. The planes were pressurized! The commander that ordered it said he would be tried as a war criminal if the US lost the war. This was repeated on nearly every major Japanese city except two. They were saved for another purpose.

In the first major US bombing raid that was targeting civilians instead of military targets in Germany the aiming point was the front steps of the city's cathedral at about noon. The lead bombardier questioned it but was ordered to do it. He did. Then there is the example of Dresden and MANY MORE. There is no such thing as a just war for a disciple of Jesus. Who would Jesus shoot?

The Destruction of Dresden - Die Zerstörung
The devastation of Dresden in February, 1945, was one of those crimes against .... how Dresden was destroyed, why it was destroyed, and what lessons we must draw ... The prelude to the bombing of Dresden was sounded by the Russian ...
www.bible-researcher.com/dresden/crossman.html
Bombing of Dresden

American history books are largely packed with lies and half truths. I taught high school social studies for 22 years and this was one reason Jesus told me to leave teaching. I have since discovered it is much worse than I thought.
All this having been said we are to pray for the government and those in authority, honor those in authority, not be critical, and obey the laws unless they cause us to sin i.e. fight and kill in war. Jesus teaching is AGAINST any civil disobedience for our 'rights'!