Philippians 2:19-24
KJV 19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. 20 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. 21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. 22 But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel. 23 Him therefore I hope to send presently, so soon as I shall see how it will go with me. 24 But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly.
YLT 19 And I hope, in the Lord Jesus, Timotheus to send quickly to you, that I also may be of good spirit, having known the things concerning you, 20 for I have no one like-minded, who sincerely for the things concerning you will care, 21 for the whole seek their own things, not the things of the Christ Jesus, 22 and the proof of him ye know, that as a child serveth a father, with me he did serve in regard to the good news; 23 him, indeed, therefore, I hope to send, when I may see through the things concerning me—immediately; 24 and I trust in the Lord that I myself also shall quickly come.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

19 Timothy was always very close to Paul and worked with him and ways that were needed, this often how he served the Lord, Timothy would later become a pastor or elder of the church in Ephesus. Timothy was often sent by Paul when the Lord had Paul do other things or when Paul was unable.

20 Timothy and Paul had a great bound. Paul saw this in Timothy and even though he was young this is why Paul worked with him. We being loving should matter more than our age and experience. Paul knew experience could be learned and is what Timothy was getting by being with Paul and age is gained with time but if you do not have love then age and experience mean nothing with out love.

21 Paul may have discouraged at this time because of they way other people reacted because there were other believers who showed the love of Christ but Paul had some bad experience with Barnabas and Mark at this time, later Paul would be thankful for such men as Mark and many others. Those we trust and respect truly our shown to us when we are discouraged.

22 Timothy had done missionary trips and other things with Paul; he was ready for any door that the Lord had opened for him.

23 Paul may have had trouble or may have been in court at this time, Paul does not say. Paul had to keep Timothy by in the case he needed him because he felt at this time no one else he could rely on.

24 Paul believed he would be back at doing the Lord’s work and would be able to see them soon.