Numbers 17:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
17 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and take of every one of them a rod according to the house of their fathers, of all their princes according to the house of their fathers twelve rods: write thou every man's name upon his rod.
3 And thou shalt write Aaron's name upon the rod of Levi: for one rod shall be for the head of the house of their fathers.
4 And thou shalt lay them up in the tabernacle of the congregation before the testimony, where I will meet with you.
5 And it shall come to pass, that the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.

Numbers 17:1-5 Amplified Bible (AMP)

17 And the Lord said to Moses,
2 Speak to the Israelites and get from them rods or staves, one for each father’s house, from all their leaders according to their father’s houses, twelve rods. Write every man’s name on his rod.
3 And you shall write Aaron’s name on the rod of Levi [his great-grandfather]. For there shall be one rod for the head of each father’s house.
4 You shall lay them up in the Tent of Meeting before [the ark of] the Testimony, where I meet with you.
5 And the rod of the man whom I choose shall bud, and I will make to cease from Me the murmurings of the Israelites, which they murmur against you.

Amplified Bible (AMP) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 The Lord spoke to Moses which again shows who God called to be in charge because He did not speak to anyone else but to Moses.

2-3 This was one from all the twelve tribes and the tribes was to choose whose name was to go on it, but Levites was to have Aaron’s name on it because he was already being chosen not it gave him the chance to stay for them to choose someone meant that he was not chosen and would have made things corrupt.

4 Moses was going to allow them to decide and then meet them; Moses was not willing to help them decide whose name was on their rods. Moses knew who God had put in charge.

5 The Lord was going to do this again to show who was called to be the priest, the Levite opposition was taken care of with the death of the sons of Korah this is being done to prevent any other up rise.