Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christian Faith-vs-religious Works
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Faith Questions-Knowing God
Glen
I guess it started with the seeming argument between Paul and James as to whether faith can always be seen in a physical action or is just a spiritual reality. Sadly, there are Christians today, so strongly believeing either side of this issue that they won't talk to each other. Some believe faith must be accompanied by certain outward actions or it isn't real, while others believe faith requires no action at all. This article is dedicated, first, to show both sides they are wrong, and, second, to show that Paul and James were in agreement on the issue of faith and works. A tall order, I know!

[b]Looking For Evidence:[/b]
The "religious works" camp seems bent on finding physical evidence for every spiritual act of faith. For instance, have you ever heard someone say...
Read complete article.
ursula
Hi Glen,

I think we have to be careful in saying that there is no need for physical evidence. This might be in line with false teachings. Read 1 Tim 6:3 " If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing."

Jesus said in Matthew 5:16 " In the same way let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven."

Is that not an instruction from Jesus and does n ' t that mean that our light, meaning the life of Christ in us, is seen in our physical body.

Looking forward to your feedback,
Ursula
Glen
Hi Ursula! Thank you for giving me an opportunity to rethink the issue.

You're absolutely right, we should not teach falsely. In fact, that is exactly why I wrote the article, to correct a false teaching which says you're not saved until you produce certain physical works, as proof. New believers are are routinely expected to produce these works, such as a certain prayer, baptism, verbal testimony before witnesses, etc. This evidence is expected, not as a work of Christ, but as proof of Christianity before they will be accepted by Christians. If Jesus said 'Letting your light shine before men' is a condition of salvation, then I would be incorrectly teaching. We are not called to judge the salvation of another based on physical evidence. This was the point. May I recommend re-reading the last 2 paragraphs?

A Christian life is evidenced in any number of ways, most of them having nothing to do with the physical world. I'm sorry if I misled you in any way. Please let me know if this is cleared up.
semi
In the process of Salvation, the inward-man changes. This may not be immediately discernable to others - not should there be any human test that this change has occurred because only God is the Judge of that.

Yes, I have been around those who insist that a person has not received the Holy Spirit unless he displays the gift of speaking in tongues. The consequence of that is that a person will feign speaking in tongues to win approval. Thus, by insisting on this test, the new Christian is made to sin.

No person has the right to put any other to the test on this matter. Consider that we are not to judge others and by whatever measure we use, we likewise will be judged. I feel strongly that those who demand such a test will themselves fail it when their judgment come.

But I have never read James thinking for a moment that James was taking about gifts of the Spirit, but he was speaking of actions - those things we do each day. Are the things we do indicative of true faith or do they reveal that we are not what we pretend to be?

I think what James meant was that if we are truly Saved, then our inward-man is changed and the evidence that the inward-man has changed is manifested in the things the outward-man does.

Shalom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.