Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Is God Punishing Me?
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Faith Questions-Knowing God
Glen
Every one of us is confronted with life circumstances that compel us to ask this question, or something like it. The question is so universal, we've included the email and an answer, to help you if you're in those circumstances now:

Dear Glen, I have been a luke warm Christian for about 6 years. I am having such a hard time believing that God cares about me. It seems like I cant find any peace or happiness for long, as I have continual problem after problem. Sometimes I long to die just so I don’t have to deal with these problems any longer. Why is it some people seem to be able to bare things so much easier than others? I find living to be such a burden sometimes. How can I get to a place where I don’t feel like God is punishing me? I really hate my life at the moment. thank you for your time. C

Reply:Hi C! Boy, where do I start? Let's start with, you're a lot closer to God than you think, or you wouldn't be asking these questions. In my experience as a minister for 15 years, Christians don't have "la-di-da" lives, though most act like they do. The devil will use the actors to make you feel like something's missing from your spiritual walk...or to question God. I remember when I was younger, comparing my life to the other Christian lives around me and wondering why everybody else was always smiling...what's wrong with me? I've had several times when I'd rather die than face the troubles I was having...even shook my fist at heaven and asked Him to kill me. After counseling hundreds of those smiling faces, I can tell you the smiles come off behind closed doors. Jesus said "it rains on the just and the unjust, alike." A great many people get Hindu and Christian theology mixed up, thinking, if something goes wrong in my life, God's punishing me or at least indifferent to me...that God won't care about me until I've earned it. Jesus said God loves you whether it's raining or not. Paul made it even more clear and personal when he said God's love and mercy were gifts that none of us could earn. If anyone tells you God will protect you from problems if you're dedicated or holy enough, they (not you) have a lot of growing up to do. Read Hebrews chapter 11 all they way through, then ask yourself, "What is the evidence of these people's faith in God?" Is it that God saved them from trouble or that they followed God despite the trouble?Here's the deal...God never promised to help us avoid problems...He promised to help us through them. If you're like me, even though you have trouble now, you can look back and see where you've gotten through problems you didn't think you could...or didn't think you should. If you couldn't or shouldn't, Who do you think got you through? What I finally got about my walk with God was that God wants to take my failures, problems, losses and weaknesses, along with my successes, and teach me things through them. Through my problems, He's teaching me to ask "What do you want me to learn from this, Lord?" and "Help me see how you're working in this." Through my enemies, He's teaching me to forgive. Through my sin and failure (yes, even now)...
To read the rest of this article, go to http://www.web-church.com/why_is_god_punishing_me.htm
Connie
Hi C, I thought I was the only one who felt like that. I just joined today and I had to write to you. I have contemplated death also but I know it is the greatest sin and I dont really believe I have the courage to do that. I lock myself in a spare bedroom in my house andfind myself climbing walls out of desperation and looking for a solution. Maybe knowing my situation you might feel better about your life. My best friend was murdered July 9, 2007, I am losing my business, I have already lost my huse to the bank I have no money to move elsewhere we have two children at home, I just got out of the hospital something is wrong with my colon I need more test I can hardly eat I vomit almost everything, my marraige is falling apart, I have a 3 million dollar debt to an insurance company that is most likely going to have me arrested, and my oldest son has been on the streets for the past three years on drugs. Can you beat this????? I do have food in my refrigerator and my kids are happy and healthy they have no idea what I am living oh, and my husband is loving....... Yet I just want to die and leave like a coward.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.