Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pray For Strength
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Prayer Requests Online
weakandhopeful
I'm new to this forum, and I didn't know what else I could do. I have a sexual addiction that I must address - if I don't, I know I will die. I have continually prayed for strength to overcome, to resist temptation, for forgiveness, for guidence -- I know God hears my prayers, but I stay the same. I've heard it said, "I asked God to take away my addiction. He said, 'No, it is not for me to take away, but for you to give up.'" I don't know how to stop myself... please pray for me. "pray that you will not fall into temptation." (Lk 22:40) I know God will give me a trapdoor when I face temptation, but when I do face it, temptation screams in my ears and the door is but a whisper. Pray that God will put lovely and righteous thoughts in my mind continually, and that he would forgive me for what I've done. I wish to cast off my addiction not only for my own dignity and honour, but for the sake of my future husband and above all, for God who frees me from the slavery of sin. I want my body to be a whole and clean temple so when I meet Him in Heaven he will say to me, "Well done." I wish to disgrace the name of Jesus no more by my hypocracy. Any encouragement in this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Nancy
I am new also. This will be my first reply and as such, I am somewhat apprehensive (nervous.) My experience with addictions is that you should seek an established support group much the same as alcoholics anonymous. They usually guide you to enlist a sponsor in the program and you are guided through "steps" and mentored and held accountable by your sponsor. Often they encourage you to find new playmates and new playgrounds...meaning to distance yourself from those you have practiced your addictions with.

You are in my prayers! God Bless!
weakandhopeful
Nancy,
Thank you for your advice. It's nice to have encouragement from the church and know people care enough to respond to my plea. I have not practiced my addiction with anyone (leading them also into sin), which is fortunate I suppose. I may begin to update this post on my recovery as a form of accountability and responsibility. It's worth a shot.

Thanks to those who are praying for me. I will also pray for you.
Glen
Hi! Nancy is right about being accountable to someone. Make sure your "sponsor" is a female you can trust with all...yes, all your secretes. Also, make sure any group you join discourages any discussion of the details about sexual behavior...it's like serving rum at an AA meeting. Being a recovering sex addict, myself, let me recommend some Biblical steps to take.
James (1:13-15) says it's our own desire that tempts us to sin. Paul says (Rom 12:2) we are transformed by the renewing of our minds. He also says (II Cor. 10:3-5) we have mighty weapons that can tear down strongholds and "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." By relying on God's promises in these Scriptures, we can control and eventually defeat the temptation of sexual addiction.
Every time an erotic thought enters your mind, take it to Jesus in prayer and ask Him to take it captive. Then, replace it in your mind with a positive, pleasant thought. Commit to do this for 21 days (the time it takes to form a habit). If you slip during the 21 days, start back at day 1. Over time, the thoughts will come less often and have less temptation attached to them. God gives us the power to overcome these temptations, but He will not rip them from our clutching hands...at least that's been my experience.
Please stay in touch and keep us posted. Mutual accountability and encouragement is the reason for these forums. I'm happy you've joined the group.
slmchristia
You are wonderfully courageous to come forth with your addiction. Glens advice is right on (from someone who has their own to deal with). Saying and prayer and claiming the blood of Jesus each time temptation comes your way works. The devil and his thoughts have to flee. Remember that not all thoughts are from ourselves, devil plants thoughts to bring us down. Hang in there and bless you.
ReChristian
I was also a sex addict and found that it takes a knowing of yourself and openness to your purpose in life from God to overcome these things.

It is like I do not need to be that way anymore. This is a new aspect to myself that I find quite refreshing! It's great to be a sexual person but that is only in the realms of a real, committed and blessed relationship from the Lord.

Work on yourself before you get into another relationship. You may also try to go to professional counseling for help with this addiction, too as it may stem from life situations/experiences that we may not immediately connect with sex addiction. try to find a Christian and female therapist.

I pray that you grow and learn to know your true purpose. I Pray for God to give you guidance in your dreams and that you will remember them. May the Lord protect you from those who would make you fall into that pit again.

I am serious, the Lord will TOTALLY make them fall by the wasteside and get them out of your life. It's happened to me. As I saw it happen, I was like, "WHoah, they are just all going away! Thanks God!" LoL. For real!

May the Lord show his the proofs of his everlasting love and may you grow to be a loving, understanding, and faithful wife with a beautiful family to raise.

Remember: You have a piece of God within you. This is what makes you very, very special. You are not soem dirty thing to be used. You are precious. You have a price beyond rubies. YOU ARE SACRED.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.