Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Childhood Best Friend Back On Drugs.
Christian Forums > List Of Christian Forums > Christian Advice And Encouragement
amandakdot
Hi everyone. My name is Mandy and I am new here. A little background on my friend Amie and I...we became friends in 2nd grade now we are both 28. We were the closest friends throughout school and were rebellious together but also grew together. I stopped being friends with her when I was 23 and had my first child because I needed to seperate from ppl who were bringing me down so that I could grow up to become a mother. She already had two children then and now has three but has always suffered from drug addiction (since 19) and finally went to prison for a year after many stints in jail and rehabs programs. She had been in prison for two months and we had not spoken for 4 years when in Aug., 2007 I dreamt that she was dead for three nights in a row. On the third night I woke and for a brief second I didn't know if she had died sometime in the time we had not spoken I was sad and then I realized it was a dream and I had to get in touch with her to let her know I still care.
WE wrote many letters during the rest of her time in prison all encouraging. I even went with my baby boy to see her last January. I was able to help her as I had never been, she was receiving it. Well she got out of prison last May and moved here where I live with no family near 2 1/2 miles from our hometown to start over. She was doing great and lived with my children and I for 2 months and we had a lot of fun together going to church, praying, and growing spiritually until her attitude changed and she began to feel sorry for herself a lot and talk on the phone to her old girlfriend from prison on the phone all the time and hide it from me. It made me very uncomfortable for her to sleep in bed with my 5 year old daughter and talk on the phone to her lover from prison, you know?
So I gave her an ultimatum stop leaving with ppl that are still involved in drugs and immoral living AND stop talking on the phone to other ppl that are on parole because that is illegal and makes me uncomfortable. She was angry and we got into in and she moved out. She ended up staying with a girl that was doing meth (Amie's main old addiction) and on parole so she came back to my house so she would not get in trouble. She did what she wanted for those few days. We both moved to new seperate apartments at the beginning of the month and I haven't seen or heard from her since. I know she is taking Xanax...which if she got tested at the parole office she would go straight back to prison. She is not going to get custody of her children if she keeps living this way. She didn't offer to help me with anything during my move or show any interest in seeing my new place. My feelings are hurt and I am struggling with the fact that I can't help her. I pray for her, but at the same time I feel angry at times and rejected although I know she just has problems. Please point me in a direction of fresh thinking and let me know if it is okay to quit checking on her because when she doesn't reply to my texts it just makes me angry again. I just send her one a day that is encouraging. Thanks and God bless you all!!!
JohnL
I feel your pain..My sister spent many years in prison....I would offer you this. You cant rescue someone who isn't ready to be rescued. You said that you pray for her, this is a pretty good step for now and seems appropriate. Also you are living as an example for her to look at, and she can see how success and happiness is. I think you should also be willing to forgive her for her when she is ready to receive it. This Doesn't mean you have to forget her actions. You can be on guard as to the addictions, and habits, etc... You can keep your door open so to speak. Keep in mind also that God draws lines, all throughout the Bible there are limitations of peoples actions then God brings an end to certain situations. Addictions are tough, and cause people to become things, and do things they normally wouldn't. She will eventually overcome her situation or she will succumb, you just have to be Christlike in your actions, but not taken advantage of. Keep your heart strong, and carry yourself like a king, a child of the living God! Know that it is her lifestyle of ungodliness that makes you angry, not your true friend that you knew so many years ago. That precious friend is still there, just overwhelmed with the things of the world. The daily text messages you send should be for her to know you are there, keep them short, simple but encouraging. They are not for your betterment so don't become angry or bitter if there is no response. Ask the Holy Spirit to touch her heart with your heart felt messages. Don't look at her non response as rejection, you can't save everyone YOURSELF. This is why God sent the Holy Spirit to touch the hearts and minds of many. Rely on Him and hope prevails. We are just the vessel that he works through. I pray many blessings on you and your friend and those you come in contact with!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.