IPB

Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Speaking In Tongues: Heresy, Prophecy or Intimacy
Glen
post Aug 2 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Speaking in tongues has been controversial since it began 2,000 years ago. Please don't expect for us to agree on it now. I wanted to start this post to set the tone for a calm and polite discussion on what the Bible says about it...rather than any church or denomination. If you enter the discussion, please treat differing views with the same respect you expect for yours, and please include Biblical references, as I have, so we can all learn from each other's perspective.
My take: I've seen churches expel members and ministers for worshiping with tongues and, in other churches, I've seen people who don't, treated like spiritual retards or 'pre-Christians'. As in many Biblical issues, you can't take an extreme position without ruling out a large part of what the Bible has to say on the subject. As I interpret it, the Bible lists 3 things which people, today, call tongues:
1. Speaking in a known language: This is where the person speaking doesn't know the language but the Holy Spirit takes over and delivers a message in the language of the person meant to receive the message. This is what happened in Acts 2:4 as explained by Peter as a form of prophecy, later in the chapter. In his book "The Beauty Of Spiritual Language" Jack Heyford describes a recent experience of his. This is a gift to be sought by everyone but given as the Holy Spirit chooses, I Co 12:10.
2. Speaking in an unknown language: This is where the Holy Spirit speaks in a language foreign to everyone and then has someone interpret the message meant for someone present at the time. This is why Paul insists that interpretation accompany tongues in a gathering in I Cor 14:26-28. This is also a form of prophecy, though not to be preferred over plain language prophecy, I Co 14:18. This is a gift to be sought by everyone but given as the Holy Spirit chooses, I Co 12:10.
3. Praying in the Spirit: This is where the Spirit intercedes in moans that words can't express, Rom 8:26. This can and should be done by everyone, Eph 6:18, cannot be explained or understood, I Co 14:14, and should be done quietly if there is someone who might misunderstand, I Co 14:6-12, 28.
Bottom line: If we believe God wrote the Bible then we can't pick and choose which parts of the Bible we'll believe. The Bible says speaking in tongues must be done but must be done in an orderly fashion, I Co 14:26-33. Those who say they must speak in tongues regardless of the circumstances and those who refuse to allow it regardless of the circumstances are both denying parts of God's Word. He's bigger than all of us and our silly notions.
What do you think about speaking in tongues?

--------------------
Love & Hugs,
Glen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Glen
post Jun 28 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi Dave! You're absolutely right. By the way, it would be difficult to read the Bible and not come to the conclusion that God speaks directly to everyone who believes in Him, regardless of Spiritual gift. Equally difficult while reading the Bible would be to conclude God loves some people more than others. Yes, even Osama Bin Laden! Since there is more rejoicing in Heaven over one sinner who repents than 99 righteous people, it's possible to conclude God loves sinners more than Christians...hmmm! I don't think that would be a correct conclusion, but there is more Biblical evidence for that than the opposite idea.

--------------------
Love & Hugs,
Glen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:39 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here