IPB

Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Know I Need God, Why can't I just believe?
jzdream
post Jul 1 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 373

I know that I need God in my life, it's the only thing that can fill this void in my life. I've tried other "things" and it just doesn't work. The thing is I go to church, I pray, I read God's word, so why do I still hold onto these things that pull me down? It's like I don't want to give them up, when really I've struggled as a result of holding on to these issues for years. I'm so judgemental of myself and others. I don't express my opinions to other people, but my opinions of myself are so critical. My self talk is no good and it weighs on me. Why can't I just beleive and know that God will take care of it? I can't even look in the mirror without finding something to complain about. It doesn't make much sense and it hurts my heart sometimes. The thing is I'm healthy, educated, working, and positive from time to time. I just constantly worry, I worry about the littlest things until they become big enough to actually be worth worrying about. I need God and I need some encouragement. Any replies would help, and I want to thank you before hand. If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlessedBee
post Jul 2 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #2

User

Member No.: 351

Dear jzdream,

I have had to fight similar thoughts and feelings all my life. One thing I know, these thoughts and feelings were killing me, and things had to change. When I discovered, by studying God's Word, that anxiety, worry, fear, and self-loathing were actually sins against God I was devastated. Going to church, praying, even reading God's Word is not going to help if you are not willing to trust God and believe in His love for you.

It is possible to stop the behavior that is causing you so much pain. I have to ask God every day to help me, but I have to do my part. When unacceptable thoughts pop into my head, I have to force myself to change the thought. I bought Joyce Meyer's book, "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word." The book contains scripture verses you can use for a variety of situations. For example, if I'm feeling anxious or worried, I turn the chapter on Anxiety and Worry and read and re-read or memorize verses on that subject until the issue goes away.

I wish I could offer you an easy fix; getting closer to God is hard work. Every time I learn something new about our Savior, it makes me want to learn even more. You need to remember that it is NOT God's will for you to feel this way, but He won't help you if you don't ask. If you do ask, be prepared to "let it go." Five years ago, I would not have conceived it possible to have a mind not full of negative feelings and thoughts. Every day now, with God's help, I am finding peace and joy in places that once only held worry and sadness. Don't give up.

Go with God Blessings
Reason for edit: added link to book

--------------------
ReneM
Psalms107:20
He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

+Quote Post
jzdream
post Jul 2 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 373

Thank you very, very much. I'm glad someone replied to my post. I know it'll take time, I just have to be willing to do my part. Thanks.

+Quote Post
semi
post Aug 1 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 397

[size="4"][/size]jzdream -

I assume you are rather young. I used to worry and fret like crazy when I was younger but the older I got, the less I worried.

I think we worry over what people think of us, whether some decision is the best one to have made, if there will be enough money to pay for this or that. The worry subsides little by little once it occurs to you that all those things aren't really all that important.

I used to worry about having a heart attack. Every little pain was a scary "symptom".Then one day I realized - no-one in my family has ever had a heart attack and certainly none have died of a heart attack - my chances of having a heart attack are not great.

I worried about how I was going to paint the house, etc. My house burned to the basement - I lost a third of a million bucks - our pets died but none of us were hurt. So one starts over. I guess I don't have to worry bout the house anymore. I was blessed also because I didn't sink even more money into it - it would have all been gone anyway.

It is our nature to worry. Problem is that we usually worry the most over things that are not likely to happen anyway - so it's pointless to worry about so many things. Make a priority list of things to worry about and only worry about the really important things. After a while you'll realize how silly it is.

Whatever happens, it's in the Lord's hands. If I really trust Him, then I don't have a whole lot to worry about.

Shalom.

+Quote Post
Mitch
post Sep 22 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #5

User

Member No.: 459

Mathew 6

Do Not Worry
25) Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26) Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27) Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28) And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29) Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30) If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31) So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32) For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33) But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Love in Christ,

--------------------
Mitch

Ask God
Believe in 100% Faith
ACCEPT a full measure

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:19 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here